The power of a morning ritual comes from the power of your evening ritual. Set yourself up for success so your morning starts off on the right foot.
A few ideas …
- Go to bed at the same time every night. It makes waking up at the same time every morning much easier.
- Go to bed with an empty stomach. Let your body fully rest while you sleep. Digestion takes energy.
- Take time to decompress. Do something that doesn’t require too much emotional or mental engagement. Meditate. Read a book. Play some music. Unplug. Relax.
- Take a hot bath or warm shower. It helps your body wind down and improves the quality of your sleep
- Put out what you’ll need in the morning. Prepare your clothes. Pack your bag. Make your bento.
- Give yourself an hour or two. However long your evening ritual takes, make sure you start it at least an hour or two before you decide to go to sleep. Sleeping at 10:00 PM? Your evening ritual takes 90 minutes? Start it at 8:30 PM. Rushing to go to bed makes a restful sleep that much more difficult.
- Don’t drink water on the way to bed. Waking up at 2:00 AM to relieve yourself isn’t very restful. Neither is rushing into the bathroom as soon as you wake up.
Prepare for your best tomorrow, tonight.